Breastfeeding is very vital since it enhances overall growth and brain development of a newborn baby. And so consistent and sufficient quantity is needed. Here are some food that increases breast milk and enhances lactation.
1) Oatmeal: It helps control the occurrence of diabetes during post pregnancy. It is also loaded with energy and fiber which helps digestion.
8 Natural ways to increase low breast milk supply
2) Fennel and fenugreek seeds: These two natural seeds help boost the quantity of milk for breastfeeding moms.
3) Spinach and beet leaves: They both contain iron, calcium and folic acid which are essential for recouping anemic mothers. They also help make your baby strong and contains detoxifying agents. Spinach contains certain plant chemicals which help prevent breast cancer but too much could cause diarrhea in your baby.
4) Green papaya: it acts as a natural sedative and helps the new mom relax to feed baby better.
Best 10 ways for new mum to get more sleep
5) Barley: it does not only boost lactation, it keeps nursing mum hydrated.
6) Garlic: it is considered as the best food to increase breast milk, its consumption prevents all types of cancer and helps in lactation.
7) Sesame seeds: This is the rich source of calcium and believed to increase milk supply.
7 Tips for postpartum weight loss in Nigeria
8) Carrots: it contains vitamin A which complements lactation and boosts the quality of your milk.
Other essential foods to boost lactation are;
Nuts, cookies, brown rice, almonds etc.
When breastfeeding it is important to limit caffeinated food and beverages. Also, avoid alcohol and smoking cigarettes, having in mind that the best way to increase milk supply is to keep on nursing your little one.